ArizonaShooting.com

"The #1 Resource for Shooters in Arizona!"
It is currently August 22nd, 2017, 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Custom Search

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Re: Anyone w/teen drivers try a real time camera system?
New postPosted: February 17th, 2017, 11:48 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

So, back on topic.
I have one of these for myself, mostly just because there are idiot drivers and this will provide extra evidence if they cause an accident on me.
I have considered getting a dual camera one, not so much for the cabin, but to have a rear view of the idiot about to rear end you. There are some that have a remote wired input for one you can put in your rear glass.

Cables: You may want to think about routing, there are some videos showing how people route cables, cables hanging in the windshield are kind of odd and distracting to me. These things take power and the ones with batteries are nice, but they do not last long.

Arizona is hot. If you have a battery unit, it will age quickly and you will end up with a wired only camera soon, unless it has a slot for you to change the batteries.

Arizona is hot. Even some of the name brand ones will die if you leave them in your car in the summer.
Consider one that you can take out and put back easily.

Arizona is hot. Consider your mount. Generic sticky things will fall off.

Auto-on there are some cameras that turn on recording with the ignition. Most consumer versions turn on when you press it.

While live feed is interesting, it is a target for being hacked, if you care about privacy. Also, data is not cheap for live video feeds.

New postPosted: February 17th, 2017, 11:52 am 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

There are a bunch of IP camera's out there that allow usage of a remote camera as a motion sensor as an ad-hoc alarm system. This may be cool if it can be used for that. The live view just seems creepy to me. Unless the car is stolen or a loved one hits "Help" I don't think I need to be watching them in the car, live.

New postPosted: February 17th, 2017, 10:19 pm 
AZS is my home
AZS is my home

electrohawk wrote:
So, back on topic.
I have one of these for myself, mostly just because there are idiot drivers and this will provide extra evidence if they cause an accident on me.
I have considered getting a dual camera one, not so much for the cabin, but to have a rear view of the idiot about to rear end you. There are some that have a remote wired input for one you can put in your rear glass.

Cables: You may want to think about routing, there are some videos showing how people route cables, cables hanging in the windshield are kind of odd and distracting to me. These things take power and the ones with batteries are nice, but they do not last long.

Arizona is hot. If you have a battery unit, it will age quickly and you will end up with a wired only camera soon, unless it has a slot for you to change the batteries.

Arizona is hot. Even some of the name brand ones will die if you leave them in your car in the summer.
Consider one that you can take out and put back easily.

Arizona is hot. Consider your mount. Generic sticky things will fall off.

Auto-on there are some cameras that turn on recording with the ignition. Most consumer versions turn on when you press it.

While live feed is interesting, it is a target for being hacked, if you care about privacy. Also, data is not cheap for live video feeds.

When I was reading about dashcams there were some recommendations for units using a capacitor instead of batteries for the AZ heat. I haven't decided on a model yet, but I do see the value of having one for evidence in the event of an accident. I have had a couple of cars try the swoop and squat in front of my truck on the 51 freeway.

New postPosted: February 18th, 2017, 6:36 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

^ Capacitors don't like the AZ heat either. Two options I have used - bring it inside when you exit the vehicle or hard wire it to car battery with a manual off switch for when you are safely parked at home in your garage.

New postPosted: February 18th, 2017, 8:10 am 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

My 2016 Corvette Z06 has a built in Performance Data Recorder, video and audio, it's a sweet set up. Here is some 1/2 mile racing footage at the Gila Bend Airport. On a 16 Gb Data Card will record about 7-8 hours of footage, so if you want to spend 6 figures on a Corvette, this system is included. [smilie=icon_mrgreen.gif]

New postPosted: February 19th, 2017, 8:23 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

^ sweet technology that built in system!!

New postPosted: February 19th, 2017, 4:09 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

harleypower69 wrote:
^ sweet technology that built in system!!

Indeed, it has more screen overlays that you can choose from that show different data about the car while racing.

New postPosted: February 20th, 2017, 6:51 am 
AZS Addict
AZS Addict

I run a 2011 GS, 3LT, A6 without a NAV screen. I was blown away just having the HUD and G meter. What you have there is outstanding!

New postPosted: February 20th, 2017, 12:37 pm 
AZS; Woohoo!
AZS; Woohoo!

harleypower69 wrote:
I run a 2011 GS, 3LT, A6 without a NAV screen. I was blown away just having the HUD and G meter. What you have there is outstanding!

Indeed, pretty cool - just wish the rain would go away, streets to dry up so I can drive the Z06. I am surprised having the 3LZ package in your GS that it did not come with NAV, but to be honest the C6's NAV sucked from what I hear compared to the C7's - my 2008 Z06 was a bare bones 1LZ, but it was a fun car.